Friday, January 11, 2008

Australia Zoo... and other stuff

Our day at Australia Zoo was great! Its been about 6 years since we last went, and it has changed BIG time since then. It seemed like it was twice as big as before, and twice as busy. It turned into an absolute scorcher of a day though, and we managed to sit in the front row at the Crocoseum for the show, so I got roasted. Well actually only my nose and tops of shoulders got burned, but I feel like I’m roasted! I don’t know why, but I never ever remember to take sunscreen or wear a hat anywhere – silly me.

We were lucky enough to have Terri Irwin and Wes Mannion do the crocodile show – you should have heard the roar from the crowd when she came running out! We must be lucky, because when we were there 6 years ago Steve Irwin did the croc show, we felt very privileged LOL!

Its very hands-on too. I got to pat a baby crocodile, a koala, feed and pat the kangaroos and feed an elephant! Last time we were there I got to pat a big python.

Anyway, it was a lovely day – here’s a few pics:

Terri Irwin during the croc show

Me and a friendly Kangaroo

A big cat out for a stroll (I think it was a cougar?)


Under the Crocoseum is this sort of memorial to Steve. All the shirts that everybody signed after he died are on display, along with posters and poems and all sorts of things that people have done. It was really quite moving...

**** ******
Other stuff: I started my new job on Tuesday. I was surprisingly calm driving in – I thought I would be super nervous but I wasn’t. I’m really enjoying it, and will be spending the next few weeks learning all the products and processes, before I can start getting stuck into anything much. I’m so looking forward to the challenge! It feels so refreshing to be working in a new environment too.
Training is going well this week, and thankfully I can walk again after last weeks leg DOMS! I have started a new weights programme this week, and I can feel some nice sore biceps coming on already, so its all good! I’m happy to be back into a routine and eating clean again, I feel so much better already.

Last night I caught up with Rachel and Sue for dinner. It was a good night, and it was lovely to see them both again. Luckily the weather has been kind to Sue while she's here - I think its still hotter down south than it is here!


Well that's about it from me. Have a fabulous Friday and a wonderful weekend!

7 comments:

Doris's BEHAG journey said...

Hey Hiliary
Lucky you. Everytime we go to Australia Zoo, we never get to see the Irwins. Have been 4 times of the years and never been lucky yet.
Nice photo of you, Sue and Rachel.

Doris

Em said...

Hi Hil :)
You naughty girl you should have sunscreen and hats already to go in your bag! I am terrible for remembering these things so i have travle packs of sunscreen and hats in all of my bags hehe my bags are so big LOL
Hope your sunburn heals :)
Have a great weekend :)
Em:)

Anonymous said...

I've not ever been to the Australia Zoo although drove past it all the time heading up the coase when we lived down in Brisbane. You're like me and burn easily, it isn't much fun is it. Hope your doms don't give you to much of a hard time, nothing worse. Have a great weekend! :o) xx

Raechelle said...

Looks like a great day out (put on that sunscreen though!)-Gosh, I did not recognise Terri at all-she looks like maybe she lost a lot of weight.
Glad you had such a fab day!
have a good weekend!

Bec said...

Hi Hilary,

I hope you had a lovely xmas and new years. All the best for 2008!!

Cheers
Rebecca

Ali said...

Great pics Hils.

I forget sunscreen sometimes, not good, especially when fair, looks like you had a great time ;)

Alixx

little rene said...

Hi Hilary!

Sounds like a fun little adventure! I would love to check it out one day :)