Monday, May 10, 2010

Time flies when you're having fun

... and even when you're not! I cant believe that I finished work 6 months ago!

Wow - long time no update! Spare time is so precious at the moment, that I havent had much time to blog. At any rate, I'm sure you're all sick of reading baby stuff, and thats pretty much all I have to write about at the moment!!

So. We've had a very rough couple of weeks here. Skye has been going through a bit of sleep regression over the last few weeks. She HAD lulled us into a false sense of security by starting to sleep longer and longer... some nights 8, 9, 10 hours straight. "Awesome!" we thought, and proudly started telling people that she was sleeping through. Then she hit 4 months and it all fell apart. Waking up 3, 4 or 5 times each night. Grizzling. Unsettled. In these last two weeks, she's been worse than when she was a newborn!

So all that makes for one very tired and cranky mummy. I haven't slept more than 2 hours straight for weeks.

Silly us, thought that once babies "learned" how to sleep through the night, that they just kept doing it. Apparently not - supposedly they unlearn, and then have to relearn... over and over for the first few years of life. Joy. And its all normal apparently.

Aside from that we are having so much fun! Its amazing to watch the little personality develop, and seeing her learn new skills. She's now grasping things with her fingers, and trying to put every single thing in her mouth! She's such a chatterbox too, and I love dressing her up in cute little outfits. I'm SO, SO in love with her - imagine that - ME! The most "un-maternal" woman ever! Its such an amazing feeling.

I've decided that I need to get my act together fitness wise. A few things have slipped, like drinking water. I'm lucky to drink 1 litre a day these days, and that needs to change. So I'm taking small steps to increase how much I'm having. I also need to get back to my healthy eating habits. These last few weeks I've been relying on sugar to get me through the exhaustion... bad Hil!

One thing thats helped this week is by doing my grocery shopping online. Its only $5 delivery, and it really helps me to avoid those impulse purchases that dont help the waistline! I've had one delivery so far and it was fantastic - the man even carried all the groceries into the kitchen for me (and the one part of grocery shopping that I despise is bringing all those heavy bags in from the car). The best part is that it frees up our Sundays, so we can start doing things as a family, instead of wasting half a day leaving Skye home with daddy while I do battle with the crowds.
My first mothers day as a mum was great! (apart from the lack of sleep) Hubby spoiled me with a voucher for an Ultimate Pamper Package - full body massage, head and scalp massage and deluxe foot treatment... ooooh I cant wait for that! I've booked in for next Thursday. And he bought me thai for dinner :) We spent the day with both our mums too, and I can tell you that I have so much more appreciation for my own mother now!
Well thats probably enough ramblings from me... enjoy the rest of your weekend!

4 comments:

RaeC said...

Skye is just absolutely adorable Hilary... even if she does keep you up all night... LOL!! xxx

Valley Girl said...

She adorable Hilary, Like you I remember being so so inlove with my babies.

absolute magic isnt it!

Cherish it as my 1st born just turned 17 :( & I feel like I had her just yesterday...

Take care

Kerry W said...

Hee..hee...what a sucker for baby clothes hey? :P
There's so many cute things though. I loved all the clothes I could buy Phil, and still do. It's a lot of fun, and even better when they get older and want to wear girly things....so cute.

Yes, I told you...about the maternal thing. I was the same...very un-maternal. It's always different with your own child. You wonder sometimes if you could love them anymore, your heart hurts. XOX

Miss Positive said...

Thank you Rae! Yeah its hard to be upset with her for not sleeping when she looks at you with her gorgeous little face!

Thanks VG, I know what you mean, the last 5 months have just flown, she will be a teenager before we know it!

Kerry I was really surprised at how that strong maternal instinct kicked in... but I just didn't believe that it was going to happen I guess! I love dressing her up, happy to hear that the dressing up continues for a while yet :)

Hilary xx